Best Amazon Deals On Speaker Cables And Wire Plugs
Practical advices for speaker cables and wire plugs with some great deals from Amazon.com. Needless to say, there are many more offers in this category on Amazon. The reason why similar products appear side by side is that the prices may vary from week to week.
Pre-assembled speaker cables
- Pre-assembled cables are equipped with connectors.
- Gold-plated banana plugs are designed for use with binding posts.
- Cables are available in different lengths (usually from 3 Feet to 50 Feet).
Bulk speaker wires & cables
- Speaker wire or speaker cable?
Speaker wires (aka zip cords) have no outer jacket. They are intended to be used in home audio systems (home theater, stereo). Speaker cables have an outer jacket, so they are more more durable and better for heavy duty live amplification.
- For in-wall use: only ETL or UL approved and at least CL2 rated cables (US). (Non-residential installation may require other ratings.)
- Typical order quantities: 50ft/100ft/200ft/500ft.
- More about speaker cables and the determination of the cross-sectional copper area in 'The ultimate guide to speaker cables'.
- Banana plugs are designed for use with amplifiers or speakers fitted with traditional binding posts.
- Banana plugs accept 12-16 AWG wires. Maximum and minimum wire size may differ.
- The 90 degree angle version is preferred when the amplifier/speaker is close to the wall.
Banana plug types:
- 'Side screw' type
The wire is inserted through a hole in the back of the plug and fixed with two side screws ('closed screw' type).
- 'Fast-lock' type
The wire fixed with the tip screwed to the base or the other way around.
- Open screw: side installation, daisy chaining possible, fastest wiring.
- Closed screw: rear installation, daisy chaining is not possible.
- Alternative to banana plugs.
- There are two types of binding posts based on the diameter of the central threaded metal rod: 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) or 5/16-inch (8 mm). Spade plugs with dual-width prongs fit onto small and large-sized binding posts.
- Types: side screw, 'fast lock'.
Pin type plugs
- Pin plugs are designed for use with amplifiers or speakers fitted with traditional spring clip connectors. They can be used with binding posts too.
- 12 AWG (or thicker) wires can't be connected into spring clips without pin plugs.
- Pin-type connectors with insulated (non-conductive) barrels prevent amplifier short circuit.
- Speaker cable assembly requires a wire cutter and a wire stripper. Almost all wire strippers have wire cutting jaws (2 in 1).
- Wire strippers are ideal for stripping and cutting 10 through 20 gauge zip cords and other wires. Cutting cables need heavy duty wire or cable cutter.
- When you work with cables you have to remove the outer jacket from the wires in the first step. This can be done with a knife or a cable stripper (cable knife). Needless to say zip cords don't require a cable knife.